Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Our Plans

Many people have asked us about our plans for what happens after Joses is born. I am sure many more people are wanting to ask but do not want to upset us. I thought I would share with you this way.
 
We just got back from our 38 week check-up. Everything is quiet and uneventful as usual. Megan's blood pressure is good (the doctor's main concern). She have officially gained a lovely 35 pounds and we are wondering how much of that is Joses. She barely gained weight until her third trimester and now she packing on at least 24 oz every week it seems. Joses is quite active. He had the hiccups when we got to the office and while we waited. He continued to hiccup while they took his heartbeat. 


Joses' due date is Memorial Day, May 26th. Our plan is to avoid a C-section and allow Joses to come on his own if possible. Due to the nature of his condition, Anencephaly babies tend to go post term. Our limited research (asking other Anen parents what happened with them) suggests that he could come anytime between now and 44 weeks.

Megan's mother is here now and my mother will be here on Thursday. They will both be staying with us until after Joses is born.

First, we know that 1) God has His own plan, 2) God answers prayer, 3) God is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, so statistics and man's wisdom does not apply to us in many ways. Only God knows what He has planned for Joses and how long our son will be with us. That being said, we are preparing for any number of paths that might be taken knowing that God's choice is the best choice for us.

We are making arrangements with friends who have a car seat and extra newborn furniture to be on standby to help bring Joses home when Megan is released from the hospital if he is still with us.

We have also made preparations if our son dies. Joses will be buried next to my grandparents in Cookeville, Tennessee. The plots were purchased years ago for our family. We have contacted the funeral home there as well as one here in Clearwater to coordinate the arrangements.

Once Joses has left his earthly tent behind, his body will be transported to the funeral home here in Clearwater where it will be prepared for burial and placed in a casket.  My father desires to drive Joses' casket from Florida to Tennessee. Where he will be kept by the Tennessee funeral home until Megan is cleared for travel. Megan and I will fly to Tennessee for a family-only, grave-side funeral.

Both funeral homes have wonderfully offered all of their services for Joses for free. All we will have to pay for is the infant casket and death certificate. All funeral related expenses (besides travel) will cost less than $300.

Prayers are still coveted. We have that "ready to meet him" fever but know that hello also means goodbye, so we want the time to slow down, too. It's a weird middle ground. Thank you for all of your love and concern throughout this pregnancy. It has helped SO much.

5 comments:

  1. We've obviously never met, but I wanted to reach out to tell you I have followed your story somewhat and am thinking and praying for you during this immensely difficult time. At 31 weeks I was told my daughter had a 50/50 chance of living, and all we could do was sit on the couch for 2 weeks and cry. It paralyzed me.., and it was only 2 weeks...so I can't imagine the roller coaster you've been on through all this time. My daughter survived and has beat all odds. She has had 11 surgeries, cancer, and countless hours of therapy, but by the grace of God she is doing well. I will pray that God works a miracle for you if it is His will. If not, I want you to know that your amazing example of strength and determination through this has not gone unnoticed. I'm praying for you all the way out in California. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello... I work with Megan at Skyview... Please let her know that I am keeping all of you in my prayers always. Please, if you need ANYTHING... She has my phone number... Call me anytime. I send all my love and support to you both. God Bless all three of you!

    Elena Liss

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers several times a day. I am confident that God will equip you both as you face this. Joses has already touched so many lives and your example is so encouraging to all of us. We love you both. (Mike and Kristina)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you today. My heart is heavy with grief and joy for you.

    ReplyDelete